Thursday, May 10, 2012

May 9 & 10

On May 9, we spent the day in Copenhagen, which was neat for me since that's where part of my family comes from. As a group, we went on a canal tour of the city. It was wonderful to be able to look at the architecture and history from the water; it turned out to be a great overview of the city. In the afternoon, many of us walked around Copenhagen, went shopping, and ate delicious food. Later in the day, Tiffany, Caroline, Emily, Emma, and I went on a long walk to see the little mermaid statue. It rained sporadically during our walk, but it made for a great adventure with a swan family, handmade ice cream, a shank of lamb, a palace, and great conversation. Many of us hung out in the hostel this night, and Chris wound up having a great time performing with a band in a club down the street.







We travelled to Boizenburg, Germany on May 10. Much of our time on the bus was spent sleeping, played games, talking to friends, journaling, and writing a small comparison paper for class. Last year on the Wartburg Choir tour, we also went to Boizenburg. Walking into the church brought back many fond memories for me; I couldn’t help but smile. Unfortunately, I could not get set back up to live with the same host family I lived with last year, but it wound up working out alright. I got to see my old host mother when we were dropped off at the church today, and she was so excited to see me. She held my face in her hands and beamed with happiness and disbelief. This stay, she is housing three castle singer boys at her house, so I am interested to hear how their stay went. Many of the people in Boizenburg do not speak much English, partly because it was part of the former East Germany. During supper with our host mother, it was clear that we were going to struggle in the communication department, so we used Google Translate and Facebook to discover the basics about each others lives and families.
Life is good so far on the trip. We are trying many new types of food, learning about different cultures, people are really enjoying the concerts, the homestays are amazing, and we are having a blast. It all kind of feels like a dream; there is no doubt that this is a trip of a lifetime. I cannot believe we only have two weeks left! --Haley Flores



1 comment:

  1. Thanks Haley! Your writing and pictures made the days come alive!

    ReplyDelete